Sunday, January 29, 2012

Family History--The Stories

I have decided that one of my projects this year will be to write down the family stories told to me by Daddy, Mother and others and share those on this blog. Family history was very important to my parents and to me too. I don't want our family history lost. I know eventually it probably will be through coming generations, but I want to share these stories with the current generation before I lose them myself. Today's post is the first installment. These stories will be kept simple and mostly told as they were told to me by Daddy and Mother.

George Washington and Maud Lee Wood had come from East Texas to West Texas once before, but found no good place to settle. (I believe they originally tried to settle in the Lamesa area.) In October 1913 they returned to West Texas by covered wagon from Dallas County. They had their two children with them, Harrel D. and Maud Jewel (called Jewel). Maud was six months pregnant with my dad. (Can you imagine traveling by covered wagon while six months pregnant?) The Woods bought land in Lubbock County fairly close to the community of Carlisle. They were fairly well off by that time's standards because they bought their land, had a full household and farming outfit with them, and money to begin their new life. There was a house on the property they bought and they lived in it for a while. Granddad Wood was a skilled carpenter as well as a farmer and built a much bigger, fine house for the growing family quickly. Years later, in my dad's older years, he would still speak proudly of the house his dad built for them with his own two hands and no help. He said there wasn't a single nail used.

Daddy was born three months after his family settled in Lubbock County on January 23, 1914. He was born at home, of course, as all babies were at that time and place. His parents couldn't agree on a name for him so for six months he was simply called "baby boy." In the Lubbock County records his birth was recorded as "Baby Boy Wood." At six months, his dad announced they would name him L.D. Wood. No true names, only initials. That initial only name caused Daddy many griefs over the years, but he was proud of the name because his father gave it to him. In his childhood and youth, he was called Dick by his family and friends. Somewhere along the way, he began to be called Dee and that name stuck. My mother called him Dee and told me that she never called him Dick because she didn't like that name. She thought it was hateful. (If Mother didn't like a name, she always called it a hateful name. I don't know why.)

Daddy was born when his dad was 36 years old. He adored his dad and spoke of him proudly and affectionately all his life. Apparently Granddad Wood was a large man, much bigger than any of his sons became. He was tall, about 6'4, and larger boned, but with the black hair and deep blue eyes that he gave to my dad. Granddad was full of life, loud, had a big sense of humor, and was constantly pulling jokes and pranks on all he met. (I'll try to remember and tell some of those stories too.) Grandmother Wood was apparently not a fan of this aspect of her husband. Daddy said she would get mad at Granddad and tell him to quit acting so foolish. Daddy inherited Granddad's sense of humor and loved to tease and joke, but Daddy's humor was quieter and dryer. The only way you could tell if Daddy was pulling your leg was by a certain twinkle in his eyes and a wry grin on his face.

Another son, George Ray, was born about three years after Daddy and was the last child born to George and Maud. The family prospered on their cotton farm and were healthy and happy until the Spanish Influenza came to the area in 1920. Nearly every family in the Carlisle area got deathly sick except Granddad for a while. Granddad Wood took care of his wife, children, and farm, but also went around to his neighbors to help them as well. He tended to their animals and did whatever other chores they needed to be done. The worst of the outbreak was lifting somewhat and people were beginning to recover when Granddad finally became sick himself. The flu hit him hard and fast and two days after going to bed, he died with pneumonia as a complication of the flu. (He had probably been sick before he admitted it. It must be remembered, also, that in 1920 there were no flu shots, antibiotics, or anything else much to treat the illness.) Granddad Wood was only 42 years old when he died. Daddy was only six years old when his dad died and I don't think he ever truly got over losing him at such a young age.

George Washington Wood was the first to die in the tight knit community of Carlisle. Mr. Carlisle (or Old Man Carlisle as Daddy called him), dedicated a plot of land for a cemetery and took care of the details for Granddad's burial there. Granddad was the first person buried in the cemetery. None of his family were able to attend his burial service because they were all still too sick with the flu.

If you ever get a chance to visit Carlisle (now a part of the City of Lubbock), you should stop by the cemetery on Highway 114. It isn't a large green place, but is fenced and now maintained by the state as it became a state historial landmark in the 1980's. On the state plaque at the entrance to the cemetery, the story of Granddad's death is told. His headstone can still be found in the far northeast corner of the cemetery. It is a tall monolith and quite ornate, although much of the design and words have eroded.

George Washington & Maud Lee Wood
Taken on their wedding day at the State Fair of Texas


More stories to come as I have time to sit down and write them out!   dewl

2 comments:

  1. Elaine I love that story. My mother told me much of the story, but not so detailed. I did know your Grandpa was the first person buried inthe Carlisle Cemetary. I loved your Dad. I do know he had a wit about him. I used to go visit them when I was 7 and 8 years old and spend the night with your sister Betty. I loved your family so much. That is some of my first memories when we came back from Japan. We were living with Aunt Doris and Uncle Elmer. I don't remember Kay going so much, but I went a lot. I loved going there.

    ReplyDelete