Saturday, March 24, 2012

Springtime and Fantasies

It's spring and I have to admit I get even more flittery in spring than I am usually. If that's possible. I'm pretty flittery (translate ditzy) most of the time, but when spring arrives?  Lord, I'm a complete butterfly! I find myself full of energy and fantasies, flitting from daydream to daydream, project to project, and seemingly unable to stick with any of them for any given length of time. My current fantasies include writing a long stream of family stories to post here, repainting the kitchen cabinets, knitting a pretty pink shawl, painting my little half bath, going up to the mountains for wee visits, and becoming a svelte, lively 30 year old. Yeah, some of my fantasies are NOT going to make the cut!

What is it about spring that stirs the heart and mind, turns me into a girl again, and makes me want to fall in love with life? I've always wondered this, even when I was that lively 30 year old. Perhaps especially when I was that lively 30 year old! All I know is I love it, despite its obvious drawbacks to actually getting anything finished and done. To feel all dreamy and euphoric is one of the best parts of being human, right? Who wouldn't want to enjoy that for a while every year? I think God knew we needed to fall in love with life again on a periodic basis. So He created a season where the light shifts, flowers bloom, trees turn green, and the air becomes gentle and warm. He created a time when we want to be outside and active and feel alive. I love it! Did I mention that I found out my favorite scent in the world that arises from fields and byways especially in spring is...the common ragweed? That sounds about right. A flittery butterfly falling in love with a lovely common ragweed.  I can hardly wait! Have a good spring everybody! Get out today and smell the ragweed!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment