Saturday, April 14, 2012

Betty's Loving Tribute to Daddy, 1987



In the process of looking for the perfect picture of John D. Wood (my brother) for the post I promised today on him, I found this lovely Father's Day card from Betty to Daddy in 1987. It perfectly captures the relationship between Betty and Daddy and adds nicely to my post about Betty a few weeks ago. I also agree with everything she wrote wholeheartedly! I thought I'd share what Betty wrote inside the card, transcribed exactly as she wrote it:

Daddy,
As you know, I'm not much for written words but at this time I wish to send you a long overdue thank you for being such a good Daddy. For being there when we were growing up and for making us feel loved and special as children and as adults. For teaching us, by example, honesty, work, responsibility, doing right by others and how to go about it in a dignified manner. In short, setting high standards of character and behavior. If at times we have not measured up, we have had a good model to which we might aspire. Thanks for being so supportive and helpful to me, especially, during some of the upheavals of my adult life. Your guidance has been both helpful and welcome. It seems you have never given up on the job of being a Daddy and on this Father's Day, I wish to say that when the man upstairs passed out the Daddys, I got incredibly lucky! I love you very much!  Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment