Monday, May 28, 2012

Family History--The Cooley Link

30 years ago today Craig Cooley and I were married. It was a beautiful, joyous day full of hope and love, family, friends, tears and laughter. People very dear to me participated in the day. Terry Looney, our former youth minister, performed the ceremony. Barry and Kellye Taylor were our best man and matron of honor. Alan Mahaffey served as wedding photographer and, as our wedding gift, gave us the photos to mark the day. Some of our best friends sang for the wedding. Our families were there in nearly full force--parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts and uncles. My sister Betty hand sewed my wedding dress, which is still a beautiful work of art. I still have and will always cherish that dress because Betty made it with hours and hours of skill and love. (I can't believe I ever fit into it and at the time it was even a tiny bit big. Was I really that small?)

Craig and I have now been divorced for 21 years and you might think it odd that I would post about this day. What I want you to know is that, although the marriage didn't last, it was the beginning of the next link, a good link, in the family history. Craig and I hold no bitterness or anger toward one another. We were friends before and are now. Best of all, out of our love came our two handsome sons, Nathanael Alan Cooley and Joshua Blake Cooley, who are the pride and joy of our lives. Nat and Josh are the next links in our line of the family. They will have children and the Cooley and Wood family will continue to live through generations to come, hopefully. (As a side note, boys, I want grandkids, but only when it is the right time for you and your family. No pressure, honest!)

Family history isn't always perfect and tied up with a big red bow. As a matter of fact, most families aren't perfect. That's what makes them real and interesting, isn't it? Family history, good, bad, and ugly is always part of who we are and who we become. I love my family. I like the person I've become because of my family and my history. I am thankful to God beyond measure for the gift of my sons. Without that wedding day 30 years ago, I could not say that. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment